It is indeed a fabulous resource for the music scholar and student. A look at the music bookshelf of the Gutenburg project reveals many composers letters that have been translated into English.
The following letters are available from the following composers:
- Franz Liszt
Tips for your research
- Perhaps cross reference the year of the composition of the piece you are playing and look for any mentions of the piece by the composer himself.
- If the composition was dedicated into someone in mind, are there mentions of that name?
- What was he thinking at the time?
- What major life events occur within the context of the piece in question?
- Is there an insight into the personality of the composer?